- Completion of a debate organizer for both sides of the debate from each team
- Works cited list with required diversity of sources
- Participation in the debate
Debate organizers and works cited list are due at the end of class on Friday, June 9. At that time you will be assigned your side of the debate. Debates will begin on Monday.
- Canada should implement a universal basic income
- Professional sports teams should be required to comply with a salary cap
- Marijuana should be legalized and taxed.
- University tuition should be free for Ontario students
- Canada should allow the private sector to deliver health care services.
- Canada should implement a carbon tax.
- Protecting the environment should be a higher government priority than encouraging economic growth
- Canadians should be compensated for organ donations
- The Ontario government should implement rent control
- The Ontario minimum wage should be increased to $15/hour by 2019
- The corporate tax should be eliminated
- The City of Toronto should implement road tolls on the Gardiner Expressway and Don Valley Parkway
Debate Format (Discussion Style)
1st Affirmative Constructive 3 min.
1st Negative Constructive 3 min.
2nd Affirmative Constructive 3 min.
2nd Negative Constructive 3 min.
Discussion Period 6 min.
Break 2 min.
1st Negative Rebuttal 2 min.
1st Affirmative Rebuttal 2 min.
You should include at least 10 different sources in your works cited list. At least one of these should be an academic paper or summary of economic research on your specific topic and/or the underlying economic concepts.
You should also include at least one economics blog on your topic. Some places to start:
You should also look at economic think tanks like http://www.conferenceboard.ca/
You should list the three best arguments in favour of the resolution and the three best arguments opposing the resolution.
You must include evidence to support each argument as well as economic terminology and concepts.
Consider how you would refute this argument as well.
Debate Organizer – Affirmative
Debate Organizer – Negative